It’s summertime, which means it’s time to brighten up your home with florals! We all love the fresh variety, but with this fun and easy craft project, you can enjoy a bouquet on the table all the time. If you’re having a birthday party or summer party, your guests will love doing this DIY project together.
Learn how to make the most of A Makers’ Studio’s newest DIY craft bundle by following along with Amy Howard in this week’s Maker Monday video.
MATERIALS YOU’LL NEED
To make your own beautiful floral frame, you’ll need the Watercolor Floral Frame Bundle, which includes:
- 2 oz Blessed Rescue Restore Paint
- Season Stencil
- Believe Stencil
- Sponge Brush
- Artist Brush
- Hey Y’all Gel Art Ink (sample)
- Hold your Horses Gel Art Ink (sample)
- Over Yonder Gel Art Ink (sample)
- Lord Have Mercy Gel Art Ink (sample)
You’ll also need bowls or containers to hold your paint, a cup to clean your artist brush in water, and a picture frame to decorate. (Pro tip: Amy found hers at Target for only a few dollars!) You can easily rescue and restore inexpensive frames from Goodwill, garage sales, or home goods stores.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR FLORAL FRAME
- Remove the glass and backing from your rescued picture frame.
- Shake up your Rescue Restore Paint and pour a small amount into a bowl or container.
- Load up your sponge brush and paint your frame using long, clean strokes. Whether your frame is raw or has an old finish, the Rescue Restore Paint will work on it! It also has no strong smell or VOCs. Be sure to protect your clothing with an apron!
- Let your first coat of Rescue Restore Paint dry for about 15 minutes. Then, apply a second coat of paint and let that dry.
5. Place portions of the Season Stencil on your frame. Amy suggests letting the flowers fall off the edge of the frame for a pretty visual effect. Once you’ve positioned the flowers where you like, remove the stencil’s adhesive backing and stick them to your frame.
6. Load up your spreader with Hold Your Horses Gel Art Ink and apply it on top of the stencil, using pressure to make sure it goes through.
7. Let the Hold Your Horses ink dry.
8. Once it’s dry after about 15 minutes, add a quote to the frame’s glass. Apply the Believe Stencil to the center of the glass.
9. Load up your spreader with Hold Your Horses and apply it on top of the stencil, pushing through to the glass.
10. Now, it’s time to paint the flowers! In another bowl or container, mix a small amount of tap water with Hey Y’all using your artist brush.
11. Load up your artist brush with paint, dab it gently on a dry surface like a paper plate or spare cardboard, then fill in some of the flowers on your frame.
12. Once you’re finished with Hey Y’all, swish your artist brush in a cup of clean tap water to rinse.
13. Repeat steps 9 and 10 with Over Yonder and Lord Have Mercy. To get a pretty green color, mix a bit of Hey Y’all and Over Yonder together before painting.
14. Relax, have fun, and enjoy painting your frame!
Once it’s completely dry, your floral frame is ready to be hung on the wall or placed on a countertop to brighten up your space. Isn’t it the cutest?
DON’T MISS A MAKERS’ STUDIO NEXT DIY PROJECT
Did you love making this fun frame? Amy does this every week, live at 10am on Mondays. All you have to do to see next week’s project (and all our previous ones) is to Like and Follow our Facebook page so you don’t miss out. Join next week’s live video for more tips and techniques to help you make the most out of your exclusive Maker Monday kits!