In this quick guide, you’ll learn how to make stencil art easily. Your DIY projects are about to get more simple and more fun when you discover this new form of art!
The A Makers' Studio Mesh Stencils make it extremely easy to create stencil art designs with no skill or drawing experience needed. Check out our collection of Mesh Stencils!
Never heard of stencil art? Let us answer your questions and show you how to start!
What Exactly is Stencil Art?
Stencil art is the process of crafting art by using mediums such as paints with the method of stenciling. Never heard of stenciling or Mesh Stencils? The A Makers' Studio Mesh Stencils are thoughtfully designed and patented with Tri Mesh adhesive technology that can be combined with a variety of surfaces to create endlessly customized DIY home décor. You don't need any painting skills or crafting experience to be able to use them and create finely detailed Stencil art.
What you'll love:
- Create beautiful stenciled words and imagery for any occasion!
- Use over and over again on almost any surface and with almost any finish, from One Step Paint to ChalkArt and even gilding.
- New and improved design features stronger adhesive, easier cleaning, and simpler transfer between different surfaces.
Grab your favorite stencil designs and start adding artistic elements to your furniture and accents without any drawing or painting skills!
Why You Should Learn Stencil Art
Making stencil art is extremely easy. If you're not an experienced crafter or don't have time to devote to crafting, then you will love the technique of making stencil art. If you've never done this technique before using Mesh Stencils, then you will be amazed at how easy and fun it is. You don't need to invest a lot of time before being able to make your own stencil art crafts on almost any surface.
What You Need for Making Stencil Art
All you need to create your own stencil art is the following:
- Mesh Stencil of choice - View Mesh Stencils
- Paint - like our Gel Art Inks or ChalkArt
- Tool - like our Artist Brush, ChalkArt Spreader, or Squeegees
It's never been easier to stencil than with our tri-mesh technology which allows you to create fine details and designs with ease and no experience needed!
How to Make Stencil Art: Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Your First Project
Gather Your Supplies
Choose your Mesh Stencil based on what you want your stencil art to look like and what surface you're using. We used the following products for this specific project:
- World Map - Mesh Stencil 18x12
- Hush Your Mouth (blue) - Gel Art Ink
- Can't Never Could (black) - Gel Art Ink
- Metallic Copper - Gel Art Ink
- Angled Squeegee
- Artist Brush
- 18x12 Art Paper
Want to do this same World Map Project? Get all the products in one bundle right here!
Place Your Stencil
With your 18x12 paper or chosen surface ready, take your chosen Mesh Stencil, remove it from the clear plastic package, and then remove the white backing. Place your Stencil onto the paper or surface, making sure it is centered and rubbed down firmly with no gaps or bubbles. It is easy to lift the Stencil up to reposition if needed!
Using a ChalkArt Spreader, Squeegee, or Artist Brush, apply the Hush Your Mouth (blue) Gel Art Ink all over the Stencil. You will smooth the paint over the design, pushing the paint through the mesh of the Stencil. Gel Art Ink goes a long way, so you won't need much to complete your design. Start with a little Gel Art Ink and add as needed.
Once the Stencil is completely covered with Ink, pull the stencil carefully away from the paper or surface to reveal the intricate design you've just made!
TIP: Immediately wash your Stencil under warm water, massaging the paint out of the mesh in circular motions with your fingertips. Once all of the paint is out of the mesh, place adhesive side up to air dry. Once fully dry, reattach the Stencil to the white backing and place in the clear packaging it came with to store for future use!
BONUS: Want to take your Stencil art to the next level? Antique your surface with the following steps before placing your Mesh Stencil design.
1. In a container, mix a small amount of Can't Never Could (black) Gel Art Ink and Metallic Copper Gel Art Ink with a small amount of water to create a custom watercolor.
2. Using the Artist Brush, apply the mixed watercolor to your paper as desired. You may highlight certain areas or make it even along the page. This is an antiqued look and the Stencil design will be going on top, so don't worry about it being perfect!
3. If desired, take the Artist Brush and use it to flick paint onto the paper creating speckles and dots to create a more naturally aged look.
4. Let the paper dry completely before adding the Mesh Stencil design and finishing the Stencil art.
Wrapping Up Our Guide on How to Make Stencil Art
The possibilities are endless using this Stencil art technique. You can make any design imaginable on almost any surface. You can keep it simple, or you can add a few steps and make a more complex piece of Stencil art.
Check out what else we created using the World Map Mesh Stencil!
Take a look at some of these most popular themed Mesh Stencils to get started making your very own Stencil art!
Want to Enjoy the Bragging Rights? Join our community on the Crafting a Beautiful Life Facebook page to share project photos, get inspired, and get tips and tricks from fellow crafters.
We can't wait to see how you start Crafting Your Beautiful Life!